Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Update

So, much has happened since my last post.

To fill in any gaps, this is what my weekend entailed:
1)Friday-after a trip to Costco in the morning, I started having contractions that went from 15 minutes apart to 3 minutes apart. We went to the hospital later that night to see what (if anything) was going on. The nurses and doctor were great and after a lot of tests the doctor said that stuff was definitely happening but that they were really busy and she thought that I should try to get some sleep at home, but that she thought that she would see me before the morning.

2) Saturday-the contractions continue, but further apart. Walking makes everything speed up, but when I relaxed they would slow. We decide not to go back until something definite happens. We have a rough night, but take it in stride.

3) Sunday- Mark and I are so tired from the night before that we decide to stay home and try to sleep. I am still contracting. We go to Mark's parent's place for supper, and after a walk, the contractions speed way up again and become really uncomfortable. Mark and I go home and try to relax, but the contractions rage on, so at 9:30pm we decide to go back into the hospital. My own doctor was on call, so that was nice. He was very busy, and told us that if we delivered that night and the baby needed the NICU, that we would have to go to Calgary because the NICU here was closed. We were examined and tested again and he confirmed that things were progressing, but he was scared to do much of an examination because he really didn't want my water to break. He was hoping that things would slow back down because of how busy everything was. After several hours (we left at 1:30am), they decided to send us home with orders to take it easy with the hope that things would slow back down. He also threatened to move our induction if the NICU situation didn't resolve itself.

4)Monday-Tired, but feeling pretty good, I did a client's colour, and then got my own hair done. Mark's sister and her husband came over and we played games and then they stayed for supper and the hockey game.

5)Tuesday (today)- we had an early morning doctor's appointment. He was really happy that we have been able to make it this far along in the pregnancy (past-term), and he said that we were a go for Thursday. Relief all around! Still contracting, but with the end in sight, I am a much happier person. Sprout should arrive swiftly on Thursday as long as we don't get bumped.

ps-In regards to the NICU situation, we found out that the NICU was "closed" because they had so many really sick babies in there that they had no room for another baby. Hence, they were shipping the pre-term women to Calgary. Scary.

5 comments:

Chantel said...

I am glad that you are doing well. I hope you are able to get a bunch of rest before Thursday.

The Lawlor's said...

Yah for you and Mark for doing so well and baby too!

I love you both and am here for you when you need.

Kari

Sharon said...

doesn't sound very restful!
can't wait till thursday!
Sprout, You and Mark are in our prayers.

Jackie S. said...

YAY!!! Good job Jess!!! What a hard weekend, contractions stink, but at least things are moving along and let's all pray that it will just help labour progress quickly!!! :) I hope you can get some well deserved rest before Thursday!!!

Laura said...

I am glad that things are going well, despite the stress!

Soon you will be making me hold babies and won't that be embarrassing for everyone.