Wednesday, October 31, 2007

the magic of books!

As I read so much, I figured that I would give into peer pressure and review some of the books that I have been reading. On the side of my blog you will see some of the books that I am either currently reading or have recently read. I welcome any questions regarding the books on this list and I would love to lend anyone books that they are interested in.

First: The Book of Jane
I found this book to be very interesting. Jane starts out with an enviable life and then stuff starts to happen. It is a modern retelling of the Book of Job from the Bible.
What I liked: This was a good clean book (So hard to find!) and it tells the story of my favourite book from the Bible, so where can you go wrong. This is the 3rd book from these authors. I enjoyed and highly recommend these books as well if you are looking for interesting, clean fiction books. Email me if you would like to borrow these, or any of my other books.

Second: The Last Wife of Henry VIII
Heavy on the fiction, with just enough history to keep things interesting and flowing. This is not a book for everyone, but if you are curious about medieval history at all, this is a less painful way to start things off. This author is also a historian, so the history that she does put in the books is fairly accurate. She has written many non-fiction books that are also very interesting. Should you enjoy this book, I would also recommend The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, also by this author and also very interesting, if not factual. She makes you really like the heroine in her books.

Third (and final for this post): The Jane Austen Book Club

Okay but not great. Language and content make this book "out" for many readers. I found the authors use of language to be blocky and not consistent. This made the book extremely hard to read, and even harder to want to read.

So there it is, an extremely short review of some of the books that I have recently read. I hope that everyone, particularly the moms out there, take even 15 minutes a day to read something that they truly enjoy. While I love classical literature, sometimes it is just fun to explore some of the new authors out there. Who knows, someday they might be the classics!

1 comment:

stone's eye view said...

book of jane sounds good to me
could I borrow it some time?